diumenge, 18 de maig del 2014

JOCS FLORALS WINNER FOR THEATRE IN ENGLISH 2014

... and the winner for the best play in English in the Jocs Florals contest goes to.... Pablo Brando. Congratulations.
This is his play...


Romeo and Juliet

The play starts with a Street brawl between Montague and Capulet servants

Capulet servants: - Kill them all! For the sake of our masters!

Montague servants: - Leave no prisoners!

 Prince Escalus of Verona: - Are these guys really fighting again?! For god’s sake, all the joy I was having in this sunny day in my loved land… This has come to an end.

 Prince Escalus of Verona: - Montague! Capulet! It has been enough! As the voice of authority in Verona, I declare that any further breach of the peace between your two families will be punishable by death! No more fights, no more suffering! Wouldn’t you rather be chilling out in your houses? Leave now! And remember, no more fights!

Later in the day Count Paris, a handsome and wealthy man, visits Lord Capulet, the patriarch of the Capulet family

Paris: - I mean… I really like Juliet… I want to become her joyful bride …

 Lord Capulet: You want to marry my daughter!? Who do you think you are!? She’s way too young to even consider marriage! You look like a reasonable man, I will consider your proposal, but you won’t marry her until two years are passed.

Paris: - Two years?! That’s way too much sir! Come on, at least let me meet her…

Lord Capulet: Foolish chill! You don’t know who are you talking with! But actually, I’m setting up a party, a ‘’family ball’’ they call it… Any way you can come if you wish so. And you also have my permission to try to make Juliet fall in love with you. I bet you won’t though…

Paris: It’s on! Thanks for the chance sir. Later!


The night of the ball arrived, Juliet talks with Lady Capulet and her nurse.

Lady Capulet: - Oh my lord Juliet! You saw how handsome and polite was that guy you were talking with?!

Juliet’s nurse: -Like super cute!

Lady Capulet: - You should consider knowing him better dear.

Juliet: Ugh, he was awful! I talked to him for like 3 minutes and I already want to kill myself. There’s no way I’m even meeting him again.

Lady Capulet: - You remind me of when I was young. I never meant to marry your father dear, it just happened, it had to happen.

Juliet: Well mom, it won’t happen again. Now let me enjoy the ball.


Meanwhile, Benvolio talks with his cousin Romeo, Montague's son.

Romeo: I’m so pissed off cousin, my life sucks.

Benvolio: Oh come on Romeo! It doesn’t! You’re a handsome, poetical guy with a lot of future!

Romeo: Does that even matter? Is life even worth without someone to love? I think it’s not my friend.

Benvolio: Well, it’s your lucky day then! I know one pretty lady who you might be interested with. There’s a problem though…

Romeo: What?! I would do anything!

Benvolio: She’s a Capulet… She’s called Rosaline. There’s only one way for you to meet her, and it’s sneaking to the Capulets ball today. You’ll get in trouble if they recognize you. Consider the risk.

Romeo: I told you Benvolio, life is meaningless without some fun! Thanks cousin.


Romeo attends the ball at the Capulet house in hopes of meeting Rosaline.

Romeo: Where could she be?  (To Juliet) Excuse me lady… Oh wow.

Juliet: Oh, hey. I’m Juliet. Where’s the ghost?

Romeo: -Sorry…?

Juliet: - Yeah, you look like you just saw a ghost!

Romeo: -No, no… I was just… amazed. I’m Romeo, pleased to meet you. Perhaps you would give me the honor to dance with you, Juliet.

Juliet: Oh, sure!


Juliet's cousin, Tybalt, is enraged at Romeo for sneaking into the ball

Tybalt: That man over there, he’s a Montague! What is he doing in our ball!? I shall kill him for the honor of the family.

Capulet: Stop it Tybalt. I don’t wish to shed blood in my house. You must wait for him to leave then decide what to do.

After the ball…

 Romeo sneaks into the Capulet house and overhears Juliet.

Juliet: Oh my crazy hearth! Oh my silly brain! Why do you have to fall in love with no one else than the Montague child! This love will kill me, and I can’t even talk to him. Romeo was his name. Why am I so miserable!

Romeo: You can talk to me Juliet! But you don’t need to. We both feel the same. I love you without any doubt, and I don’t care what our families think, I just know I love you, and that’s not going to change. In fact, let’s marry today. I’ll meet you when the sun sets.

Juliet: The wait will kill me Romeo!

With the help of Friar Laurence, who hopes to reconcile the two families through their children's union, they are secretly married the next day.

Tybalt, later on…

Tybalt: Montague! Don’t even think I forgot about you sneaking into our family ball. You will receive the punishment you deserve now. I’m going to kill you!

Romeo: I won’t fight you Capulet! That would mean my exile, and it’s not worth for your miserable life.

Mercutio, a close friend of Romeo is offended by Tybalt's insolence.

Mecutio: I will kill you then! You are not allowed to talk like this to Montague’s son. You shall now die!

Mercutio is fatally wounded when Romeo attempts to break up the fight. Grief-stricken and wracked with guilt, Romeo confronts and slays Tybalt.

Romeo: What have I done!? I will have to leave this land now or they will kill me! I need to see Juliet again. If I lose her, my life won’t make sense anymore.

 In Juliet's chamber…

Romeo: Oh Juliet… something terrible has happened. I slain your cousin Tybalt I will have to leave this land forever.

Juliet: Oh my Romeo… Why is life giving us so many problems? I have bad news as well. My family decided that I must marry Count Paris, that I must become her ‘’joyful bride’’ or else I will be disowned and rejected.

Romeo: Let’s leave then! Let’s escape this stupid world and live our own story.

Juliet: Yes! I was wondering if you were whiling to do it. Let’s do it tomorrow though… I want to have some fun tonight… We need to consummate our marriage you know…

Romeo: Consu… What?

Juliet: Don’t talk anymore. We’ll talk about our escape when we meet tomorrow. Now let’s enjoy our marriage.


Juliet visits Friar Laurence for help, and he offers her a drug that will put her into a deathlike coma for "two and forty hours."

Juliet: Remember, oh Friar, you must tell Romeo the plan.

Friar Laurence: Yes, don’t even worry about it Juliet. Drink it now.

Juliet:  I will be always in debt with you. (Sleeps in the family crypt).

The messenger, however, does not reach Romeo and, instead, Romeo learns of Juliet's apparent death.

Romeo: No! What is this!? Juliet’s death!? Why, oh god, why you had to do this?! Nothing is left now, nothing is worth.

Paris: You! Montague! What are you doing in Capulet’s crypt?! All the Montague are vandals. You shall now die.

Romeo: I’m tired of this shit. My anger is going to be calmed by killing you now, Paris.

In the ensuing battle, Romeo kills Paris.

Romeo:  Sadly there’s still no hope. I can’t no longer fear death, I’ve died a thousand times. I’m just a waste for the universe; I don’t deserve living like this.

He drinks the poison. Juliet then awakens.

Juliet: What!? Romeo!? He’s death! What in the heavens!? I guess god didn’t want me to be happy, I guess this is just a punishment. Well, fuck you god, I’m not suffering any more.

Juliet stabs herself with Romeo’s dagger.


The feuding families and the Prince meet at the tomb to find all three dead. Friar Laurence recounts the story of the two "star-cross'd lovers". The families are reconciled by their children's deaths and agree to end their violent feud.